- The Razor’s Edge tailgate was, once again, a blast. Both Ben and I had a fantastic time eating good food and enjoying good company.
- Loved the celebration before the game. The huge flag covering the field. The national anthem sung very well and as it should by 3 military personnel. (proper pace, correct tune, no embellishment, with feeling). Flyover by a C130. Kevin Faulk as an honorary captain.
- Faulk’s ceremony at halftime was very nice. Kraft spoke highly of him and Kevin’s speech was good. Even liked that he cleared the air about not mentioning Brady in his retirement speech (which I hadn’t heard).
- McCourty has really taken to the safety position. A forced fumble at the 1 against Fred Jackson and then the game ending pick. He is great in run support making a goal line tackle earlier in the game. I think this is his position.
- Other than the false start on the final drive (a killer), Ridley continues to run hard and with purpose.
- Ghost has gotten his groove back. Big kick at the end of the game and kickoffs continue to be stellar.
- Nice to see Cunningham play like we thought he could play. He really is playing hard when he has the chance.
- Despite losing both starting guards, the OL held up great, only allowing 1 sack and very little pressure. They did ok with the run blocking as well.
- Though none were deep, Lloyd had 5 grabs and seemed to be on the same page as Brady all game.
- Woodhead had a couple of nice runs and made his receptions count as he sneaked his way in for TD and a couple of other first downs. Nice game for the little guy.
- Gotta give Zoltan some props. He had only 2 punts but the first was dropped inside the 15 and the other was a 44 yarder from the back of the EZ on a short snap. Nice job. He held on all the FGs as well. (Props to Danny Aiken as well for the perfect snaps.)
- As a non- Pats related notice, Ben’s football season came to an end last weekend with the Senior Bowl. He played great with numerous tackles including 2 for a loss, a pass defensed and an interception. For the season, he was a captain for the 6 and 1 Portland Cowboys starting at both right guard and OLB finishing with 3 sacks, a safety and a fumble recovery. He made all the defensive calls and alignments. He was awarded the Hilton Award for the team for his leadership, dedication, determination and teamwork. The Hilton Award is the only individual award given to a player. As a proud father, I just needed to crow a little. He will be off to middle school next year playing for Portland East.
- Brady can’t throw on the run. Last drive of the game, Brady scrambles to the right. Woodhead makes a great move to get open in the corner of the EZ. Brady throws it into the dirt 2 yards short. Would have won the game easily.
- On the final drive, I don’t like the hurry up on first down to try and run it in. Let the clock run. Unless there was a reason to get the snap off before a challenge, we should get the right personnel in and run the play we want. I also don’t like trying to run wide. We continually get stuffed in short yardage on that play.
- Watching the cheerleaders dance to Back in the Saddle by Aerosmith. I was waiting all routine for them to simulate riding a horse (You know. Gallop in place, hand over head like they are twirling a lasso). Never happened.
- Welker dropped 2 easy balls that could have really helped the cause. First was early in the game where the other would have gotten us off the 1 yard line and given us a key first down late in the game.
- How many times did the RB hit the hole, get bottled up and then roll off and gain 10 yards. We need to get the ends to contain better instead of collapsing in. The one thing they teach kids is to set and maintain the edge. These are pros who should know better.
- Giving up 35 first downs and 7 for 11 on 3rd down conversions is unacceptable. We need to pressure the QB more as the front just isn’t getting there. Whether that means blitzing or coming up with different schemes, we need to get the opposing QB out of rhythm.
- BB’s throwing of the challenge flag. For a guy who played sports, that was pathetic. Looked like a limp, noodle arm of a 4 year old girl.
- How can a professional not know the rules of their sport. There were a couple of 49ers and Rams that thought there would be another OT. Bradford played like there was going to be another one.
- Speaking of the Rams, how do you get a delay of game on what would have been the winning FG? Pathetic.
- The Jets look awful and Miami gets pounded by Tennessee. Looks like we just won the division.